BEFORE AND AFTER
Before you go trekking around in deep snow in your leather boots this winter, make sure you first clean and polish them. Follow these steps monthly to prolong the shoe-life of your favourite boots.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1. Walter’s Neutral Wax Shoe Polish
- 2. Mr Blacks Essentials Shoe Cleaner
- 3. A shoe polish dauber
- 4. A shoe brush
- 5. A clean micro-fiber rag
- 1. Spray on Mr Blacks Essentials Shoe Cleaner. Make sure to spray 7-11 inches above and away from the shoe so you don’t waste the cleaner.
- 2. Rub the shoe with your clean micro-fiber rag to remove built-up dirt and grime. Be sure to cover the entire shoe, and don’t forget to clean the tongue.
- 3. Rub the hairs on your shoe polish dauber in Walter’s Neutral Wax Shoe Polish (we’re using a neutral wax because we don’t want to alter the colour of the shoe).
- 4. Rub the dauber in a circular motion gently on the leather of your shoe distributing the wax evenly. Make sure you distribute around the base of the shoe.
- 5. Brush the leather with the shoe brush to settle the wax and evenly distribute it while bringing the shoe to a shine.
HOW TO CLEAN AND POLISH YOUR SHOES VIDEO (15 SECONDS)
Sterling Derk shows us how to clean and polish shoes using Mr. Blacks Essential Shoe Cleaner and Walter’s Neutral Wax Shoe Polish. Available at Derks.
We recommend the above steps for rugged winterwear. For dress shoes, we recommend wearing covers like SWIMS galoshes to minimize damage.